As part of the Java EE 7 development process, multi-tenancy will be a topic that is addressed.

As part of this, I suspect I will need to look at what changes if any are needed at the JDBC level.

Until we go down this path with Java EE 7 and the JDBC Expert Group,  I would be leery of trying to just create a Derby specific implementation which might not be compatible with what comes out of the JCP EG work.

Regards,
lance