db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From dag.wan...@oracle.com (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: opinions on a less aggressive release of the istats feature?
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:23:10 GMT
Lily Wei <lilyweiderby@gmail.com> writes:

> We had a fix for DERBY-5108 in the trunk and most of the running result
> looks good to me with istate daemon on. My opinion is leaning toward to turn
> the default to on for istat daemon. With it on, Derby is still zero-admin
> db. Most users shouldn't know it is there.  And, disable it is very easy
> process for users. With the original seven days period to see how things are
> going, we still have time to see the outcome if we turn the default to on.

After having reviewed what's been happening in my absence, I'll give my
0.02 cents, too.

The con is mostly that the feature hasn't been enabled on trunk for very
long, and we have seen a few issues around it, although they have been
mostly fixed. The file deletion issues on Windows (DERBY-5108) is not
confined to this issue and something we need to fix going forward, by
looking again at how we perform an orderly shutdown. It seems we have
ordering problems there, cf [1], DERBY-4920 and Knut's observation on
DERBY-5108 when calling SYSCS_UPDATE_STATISTICS on a large index just
before shutting down the database.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5108?focusedCommentId=13006941&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13006941

On the other hand, I think this feature is a great one for a new
release, and it would be sad to have to give it up. I'd rather be
aggressive now, and get coverage for it in a new release as soon as we
can. There will always be risk attached to a new feature, but this one
can be disabled if necessary, and I agree it is definitely a step
towards our aim of being a zero admin db.

In this case I think the open source mantra of relasing early and often
is pertinent. Let's get in the hands of users, with suitable warnings in
the release notes, so we can get the feedback, if any, sooner rather
than later.

+0.75 to enable.

Dag