db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: opinions on a less aggressive release of the istats feature?
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:42:12 GMT
Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> My main concern has always been just the background work affecting
> existing applications.  At this point I have been convinced that default
> on is in keeping with the zero admin goal, and that we have a workaround
> easily implemented in the field if there are problems.  So if we are
> going to enable this enventually
> I would much rather do it in the first release, rather than a subsequent
> point release.

I agree that turning it on by default does sound right for a zero-admin
db. And since we believe that it won't cause any serious problems in its
current state, I'm fine with enabling it. Most users shouldn't even
notice that it's there, and those who do can easily disable it, as
documented in the release notes. Hopefully they'll also file bug reports
about problems they encounter, so that we can improve it further in
later releases.

But it's getting very close to the RC, and if the release manager thinks
it's too risky to reintroduce it at this point, I'm fine with that too.

--
Knut Anders