db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lance Andersen - Oracle <Lance.Ander...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Multi-tenant jdbc driver for Apache Derby: GSoC project idea
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 15:57:46 GMT
Hi Rick,

The discussions span more than the JDBC EG and are starting in the Java EE and other component
technologies EG which are part of Java EE 7.  Certainly a start is to have Eranda consider
joining those EGs.  When we look to start the JDBC EG discussion, then Eranda could consider
joining that EG.  Keep in mind a JSPA is required for all EGs.

I expect a lot of discussion in this area going forward.

Regards
Lance
On Mar 2, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Lance,
>
> I think that Eranda is proposing something interesting, particularly if we view it as
a prototype of the api which the EG is considering. Is there a way to tie Eranda into those
discussions?

> Thanks,
> -Rick
>
> On 3/1/11 9:44 AM, Lance Andersen - Oracle wrote:
>> As part of the Java EE 7 development process, multi-tenancy will be a topic that
is addressed.

>> As part of this, I suspect I will need to look at what changes if any are needed
at the JDBC level.

>> Until we go down this path with Java EE 7 and the JDBC Expert Group,  I would be
leery of trying to just create a Derby specific implementation which might not be compatible
with what comes out of the JCP EG work.

>> Regards,
>> lance
>> On Mar 1, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Eranda Sooriyabandara wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Devs,
>>> These days I work for a project which compare the different approaches of the
application level multi-tenant approaches. So I had this impression of why we can't do this
in the JDBC level so that anyone can use the advantages of the multi-tenancy without much
worrying of implementing the application level multi-tenant approaches. So I like to work
on implementing multi-tenant JDBC driver for Apache Derby. Since this is a new concept and
may involve some research I may not able to complete this within the summer but I like to
do a fair amount of the work within the time and complete after that.

>>> Please may I know your precious ideas about this.
>>> thanks
>>> Eranda
>>>

>> Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
>> Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
>> Oracle Java Engineering
>> 1 Network Drive
>> Burlington, MA 01803
>> Lance.Andersen@oracle.com <mailto:Lance.Andersen@oracle.com>
>>
>> Green Oracle <http://www.oracle.com/commitment> 	Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment