db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lahiru Sandaruwan <lahiru...@gmail.com>
Subject Start with Derby and Full outer JOIN
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 16:35:24 GMT

I'm a final year student doing computer science degree and like to
contribute FOSS development. My first experience of FOSS was an Add-on for
Firefox and concluded successfully. Most of the university projects were
done in Java language and therefore its a familiar language to me.

I already communicated with Derby community some times back about a research
project. I understood that Derby has a very friendly community to a newbie.
After getting some familiarity I realized that this is a interesting project
to work on. I would also like to apply for GSOC 2011 on a Derby project. Its
not the only reason that I thought to contribute Derby but it is the
interest I got at it.

At the research, it was a major concern that efficiency of JOIN
optimization. Among the I saw that there is a possible improvement reported
at JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4832 ). As the straight
forward Full outer JOIN is not available in Derby( as improvement stated
above), I would like to contribute to the improvement of it.

I'm a newbie to the Derby and downloaded the code and built it. I got a
little understanding on Classes involving cost base optimization. Any help
would be very valuable on how to start with Derby and GSoC.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
H. G. Lahiru Sandaruwan.
University of Moratuwa.