db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lahiru Sandaruwan <lahiru...@gmail.com>
Subject Start with Derby and Full outer JOIN
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 16:35:24 GMT
Hi,

I'm a final year student doing computer science degree and like to
contribute FOSS development. My first experience of FOSS was an Add-on for
Firefox and concluded successfully. Most of the university projects were
done in Java language and therefore its a familiar language to me.

I already communicated with Derby community some times back about a research
project. I understood that Derby has a very friendly community to a newbie.
After getting some familiarity I realized that this is a interesting project
to work on. I would also like to apply for GSOC 2011 on a Derby project. Its
not the only reason that I thought to contribute Derby but it is the
interest I got at it.

At the research, it was a major concern that efficiency of JOIN
optimization. Among the I saw that there is a possible improvement reported
at JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4832 ). As the straight
forward Full outer JOIN is not available in Derby( as improvement stated
above), I would like to contribute to the improvement of it.

I'm a newbie to the Derby and downloaded the code and built it. I got a
little understanding on Classes involving cost base optimization. Any help
would be very valuable on how to start with Derby and GSoC.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
--
H. G. Lahiru Sandaruwan.