db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From siddharth srivastava <akssps...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby GSoc 2011
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 04:24:40 GMT
Hi Kathey

On 11 March 2011 03:28, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hello Students and potential mentors for GSoc,
>
> I won't be a formal mentor this year for the first time in many but instead
> am going to offer backup for Tiago with the test and fix project DERBY-5091,
>  but wanted offer some  thoughts based on my experience in past years.
>
> For students:
>
> 1) Critical to success and acceptance in GSoC in Derby  is  that the
> student have some experience in the community. Get your build and test
> environment set up and fix an issue or two so the mentors understand how you
> can work with the community and what tasks are appropriate.
>
> 2) You are absolutely going to need to have a mentor interested in the
> project you are proposing. If you look at the ranking process [1]  , you
> will see that the first step is for mentors to flag proposals they are
> willing to mentor.  Proposals that are not picked up by a mentor, no matter
> how good they are do not go to the next step.   We have three issues now
> labeled gsoc2011 ideas [2],  but so far just one mentor volunteer for
> DERBY-5091.  Unless you can find someone to mentor the others your proposal
> will sit.
>
> 3)  There is nothing wrong with having competing proposals for the the same
> project. DERBY-5091 Derby Test and Fix, for example,  is extremely broad and
> could have multiple very diverse proposals.
>
> 4) Don't restrict yourself to the labeled ideas.  If you look at the issue
> assignments and you see an area  where you think you could really help out
> the person assigned on something important to them, you might be able to
> convince them to mentor. This is what happened with me last year, I planned
> not to mentor but Tiago put in a proposal for DERBY-728 which was on my list
> anyway.
>
> 5) Look at the ranking process [1]  and make sure your proposal includes
> all the aspects looked at there. GSoC can get competitive both within and
> between projects.
>
> For potential mentors:
>
> 1) Please volunteer to mentor and try to think of projects that are on your
> list anyway where you might consider mentoring instead of doing it yourself.
> It will grow the community and is lots of fun!   Especially quality projects
> I think are appropriate,  like code coverage and analysis, more thread
> interrupt testing, completing the JDBC4.1 testing items etc.
>
> 2) If you just don't have bandwidth,  thinking  about teaming up as Tiago
> and I plan to. This way vacations can be covered and experienced mentors can
> help bring in the new generation.   Are there mentors from previous years
> that would be willing to support someone else as formal mentor?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kathey
> [1] http://community.apache.org/mentee-ranking-process.html
> [2]
> [...]
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. This is my first year with Derby, so I
feel a Derby Test and Fix during GSoC would be appropriate for me.
I have already picked some issues which can be included in my proposal.

Last time I checked, there were 3 issues labelled GSoC 2011. So are those
meant to be mentored by specific mentors or do they mean that the Derby
community feels them appropriate as a GSoC task to be picked by students ?

Thanks

--
Regards
Siddharth Srivastava