db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: many open test failure issues...
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 03:16:09 GMT
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> I think it would be worthwhile to do a focused effort on the outstanding
>>> intermittent errors.  It seems like trunk has gotten much worse in this
>>> area than it has been.  I often get 2-3 "known" issues when doing a trunk
>>> run - this should not be the case as we go into a release.
>>>
>>> I would be willing to devote time to this issue over the next few weeks.
>>>  I do think we need some sort of list of
>>> issues to concentrate on, maybe making those on the list a blocker for a
>>> release until someone does work to either fix or argue why they should not
>>> be a blocker.
>>
>> I would support a concerted bug fixing effort in 10.8.2, with a strong
>> emphasis on stabilizing our noisy tests. Perhaps someone will volunteer to
>> manage such a release and publish its criteria. Extra credit if we wrap this
>> up before everyone disappears for the summer.
>>>
>>> I am particularly concerned about the statistics and interrupt based
>>> errors we are seeing.  These are the results of new features being
>>> introduced and due to the intermittent nature it is hard to say if the issue
>>> is the feature itself or just new testing showing up existing issues.
>>>
>> I agree that there has been a lot of noise in these areas. The bugs I'm
>> aware of indicate that these features may not be delivering their promised
>> benefits in edge cases. So far I do not see any evidence that these features
>> have caused regressions, data corruptions, or wrong results. My sense is
>> that both of these features provide significant improvements over Derby's
>> behavior in previous releases--even with edge case lapses. At this point I
>> am in favor of releasing these features so that customers can enjoy the
>> incremental improvements and can give us feedback on uncovered edge cases
>> that we haven't found ourselves.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>
> I was wondering if we think that the "noisy" tests are just showing bugs
> that we don't want to fix for the release, them maybe we should log or
> upgrade the existing bugs and disable the tests so that individuals don't
> have to reinvestigate the same issues over and over and over again.  The
> reason I bring it up now is that by making a release we are going to again
> increase the number of times these errors show up again.
>
> I know we have never had anything official, but it would be nice if we
> could get to something like no nightly regression test errors in the public
> reports across all platforms in the last 7 days.
>
> As you pointed out I believe some of the problem is that we have added
> testing that has uncovered bugs.  Usually when we add test cases that
> uncover bugs we log the JIRA and disable the test until the bug is fixed.
>  Maybe we should do so now also.  I am fine leaving tests running if the
> errors are hard to reproduce and someone is trying to gather more
> [...]

I think obviously the first wish is to have the bugs causing test
failures get fixed.
But I'm ok with disabling a test case (preferably not an entire test)
until a bug is fixed, although I think it's always a little risky
because we are not doing some specific testing, and thus, may run into
a bug in that area. But having a test fail always also has that same
effect, and having tests fail for known reasons doesn't help.
A passing test doesn't mean there are no bugs...

However, there are currently a number of highly irritating bugs for
which it would be great to get a resolution.
I've pulled a list of the bugs that have shown up in the nightlies (at
sun and ibm) in trunk over the last two weeks, added with a couple of
my favorites.

If anyone has spare cycles and would be willing to look either fixing
these, or working around the problem situations...

DERBY-5119 - AccessTest.testQualifiers
DERBY-5109 - InterruptResilienceTest.testRAFWriteInterrupted
DERBY-5108 - AutomaticIndexStatisticsTest.testShutdownWhileScanningThenDelete
DERBY-5045 - UpdateStatisticsTest.testUpdateStatistics
DERBY-5081 - InterruptResilienceTest.testRAFReadWriteMultipleThreads
DERBY-5003 - ReplicationRun_Local_3_p5.testReplication_Local_3_p5_DERBY_3878
DERBY-5110 - testInvalidLDAPServerConnectionError.
DERBY-5026 - testStatsCreatedOnGrowthThenDeleteDb (or, fixed now?)
DERBY-5105 - NoSuchMethodError in upgrade tests
DERBY-4922 - DboPowersTest.testReEncrypt
DERBY-4905/4916 - tearDown/removeDir unable to delete files (on
windows), often seen in upgrade tests
DERBY-4762 - derbynet.NetworkServerControlClientCommandTest.testPing
DERBY-3993 - unit/T_RawStoreFactory.junit (perhaps the check for the
observers  can be removed).

If anyone has any other favorites, please let me know...
If anyone is volunteering to work on any of these, let me know...

Myrna