db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Houx Zhang <houx.zh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2011
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2011 02:48:48 GMT
Thanks for your encourage, Kathey.

In my working on "convert ijConnName.sql to a ScriptTest junit test"[1],   I
was advised by Myrna that "Though tempting to convert this to a straight
junit test, where you have more control over the output, the name
(ijConnName) indicates this is a test intended to test the ij commands to
manage connections."

It seems that, straight junt test case is the first choice when converting,
its benefit is to get more control. ScriptTestCase is just suitable for
testing related to a specified field of ij. So maybe the converting based on
ScriptTestCase should focus on a limited scope, maybe primarily including
the sql scripts named containing a "ij".

What's your opinion?

2011/3/25 Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net>

> On 3/24/2011 9:15 AM, Houx Zhang wrote:
>

>> We have a lot of sql script tests should be test based on ij[1],  just
>> like "convert ijConnName.sql to a ScriptTest junit test"[2] ,but some
>> modification is required, these tests should be converted. While there are
>> more sql scripts can not be converting to ScriptTestCase as stuff like
>> seding and timestamp, these tests should be converted by extending
>> BaseJDBCTestCase directly or marked out at least to help future converting.
>>
>> I think the converting based on ij is an interesting and independent idea,
>> and hope Tiago and some probable mentor can think about it.
>>
>>  Thank you Houx for looking at the conversions.  I agree that we should
>  use ScriptTestCase to bring as many scripts as we can into the JUnit suite.
>   The conversion effort has been taking years and years and I think  it
> would be very worthwhile to run all the script tests through ScriptTestCase
> and see if we can tackle a big chunk that way.
>

> Kathey
>

>  Houx Zhang
>>

>> [1]http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ConvertSqlScriptTestsToJunit
>> [2]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5084