db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Re: Official stance on tabs
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:05:25 GMT
Hi Rick,

That does help. Personally I would like some convention but since plenty of
the legacy code doesn't really follow this standard, I think I'll be lenient
when committing other people's code; especially when it comes to GSoC.
Deadlines are usually tight and it's probably best not to lose time with
cosmetic back and forth of patches.

Thanks for clearing this for me!

2011/3/22 Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com>

> Hi Tiago,
> Derby approved a set of coding conventions in August, 2006, mostly to
> satisfy an Apache requirement that projects should establish standards in
> this area:
> http://old.nabble.com/-VOTE---Approve-coding-conventions-for-the-Derby-project-to5771191.html#a5771954The
Derby conventions include a large primer published by Sun (now Oracle)
> plus a couple explicit modifications to that primer. I have never seen a
> reviewer even mention, let alone enforce any of the rules in that primer.
> Three of the explicit modifications have earned special mention on the
> checklist for new contributors:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist These hot
> buttons are:
> i) A preference for 4-space tabs.
> ii) Elimination of @author tags.
> iii) A preference by some for 80 character lines.
> In order to get a submission committed, a new contributor needs to conform
> to the coding philosophy of the committer who reviews the patch. Once in a
> great while, someone will rework an already committed patch to enforce a hot
> button preference. There is little enthusiasm for enforcing the Derby
> conventions systematically. I think this is because:
> a) Most of the classes pre-date the adoption of conventions and don't
> conform to them.
> b) Contributors are discouraged from reformatting existing classes in order
> to make them conform to the conventions. This eliminates cosmetic diffs
> which complicate code archaeology.
> c) To promote readability, contributors are encouraged to follow the coding
> style of the class they are working on.
> To answer your specific question about tabs: 4-space tab settings are
> preferred but not systematically enforced.
> Hope this helps,
> -Rick
> On 3/21/11 2:24 PM, Tiago Espinha wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> What's our (Derby's) official stance regarding the tab spacing? How strict
>> are we being with patches? Are we enforcing the 4-spaced tab or are we happy
>> with the tab-spaced tabs?
>> I remember when I was a GSoC student I was asked to change my settings in
>> Eclipse, but I seem to remember have seen patches being committed after that
>> with just tabs instead of spaces. Do we have an official position on this?
>> Cheers,
>> Tiago

View raw message