db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby Testing Problems
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:40:10 GMT
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:10 AM, David Martín Nieto
<david.martin.nieto@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.OuterJoinTest.testDerby_4471d(OuterJoinTest.java:2850)
> at org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.runBare(BaseTestCase.java:112)
> at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
> at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
> at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
> at org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57)
> at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
> at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
> at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
> at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
> at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:23)
> at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:27)
> at org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57)

Hi David,

Yes, you're right, we expect a 100% success rate in the tests. There
are a few 'known' intermittent test failures that we've not gotten our
hands/heads around, but for each of those there should be an existing
entry in JIRA.

These failures do not look like any of the intermittent failures I
recognize. I'm assuming you're running off trunk...Recently there have
been changes in the automatic index statistics functionality, so
perhaps your tree has gotten in some in between state.

I have the following suggestions:
- after making a patch of your current changes (to save anything if
something goes wrong; save svn diff to a file, or a comparable action
if you're using an IDE) get to a completely clean build environment
followed by svn update. So, first do ant clobber, and delete (if
they're left) the jars and classes and generated directories. Then svn
update to get to the most recent state, then redo the build.
- run the tests in a clean directory, not in one where you've run tests before.

Hope this helps...
Myrna