db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject Question about TRUNCATE TABLE and freeing disk space
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:02:40 GMT
I have to do a poor man's partitioning because I have a table where records are constantly
being added (right now about 1.7 million per day) and I need to purge older records out.
My plan is to partition incoming records into separate tables for a week and then to drop
a week's worth of data by dropping and recreating a table.  I also have a view that consolidates
the data across the various weeks back into a single view.

I see the TRUNCATE TABLE command available in Derby 10.7 and was wondering if it has the same
ability to free disk space as dropping and recreating a table or if it will still suffer the
problem where the disk space is still allocated until a compact is run?   It would be nice
to use the TRUNCATE TABLE because I would not have to destroy and re-create my view but if
it does not have the same benefits, I will go with the dropping and recreating the table and
view.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Brett