db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lance Andersen - Oracle <Lance.Ander...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Multi-tenant jdbc driver for Apache Derby: GSoC project idea
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:44:37 GMT
As part of the Java EE 7 development process, multi-tenancy will be a topic that is addressed.

As part of this, I suspect I will need to look at what changes if any are needed at the JDBC
level.

Until we go down this path with Java EE 7 and the JDBC Expert Group,  I would be leery of
trying to just create a Derby specific implementation which might not be compatible with what
comes out of the JCP EG work.

Regards,
lance
On Mar 1, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Eranda Sooriyabandara wrote:

> Hi Devs,
> These days I work for a project which compare the different approaches of the application
level multi-tenant approaches. So I had this impression of why we can't do this in the JDBC
level so that anyone can use the advantages of the multi-tenancy without much worrying of
implementing the application level multi-tenant approaches. So I like to work on implementing
multi-tenant JDBC driver for Apache Derby. Since this is a new concept and may involve some
research I may not able to complete this within the summer but I like to do a fair amount
of the work within the time and complete after that.

> Please may I know your precious ideas about this.
> thanks
> Eranda

Lance Andersen| Principal Member of Technical Staff | +1.781.442.2037
Oracle Java Engineering
1 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
Lance.Andersen@oracle.com