db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: DERBY-5121 and testing upgrade from 10.7.1.1 to the next point release of 10.7 codeline
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:41:57 GMT
On 3/28/11 8:19 PM, Mamta Satoor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For DERBY-5121 fix, the 10.7.1.1 users need to make sure that their
> database gets upgraded to next Derby release with DERBY-1482 changes
> backed out. As part of the upgrade to that release, the trigger action
> SPSes will get marked invalid and when they get fired next time
> around, correct trigger action SPSes will be generated for them,
>
> To test the upgrade from 10.7.1.1 to trunk, I have already added a set
> of upgrade tests with revision 1085613. It will be great if we did
> similar testing for upgrade from 10.7.1.1 to the next point releases
> of 10.7 to make sure that the trigger SPSes do get fixed. But if I
> understand the upgrade test framework correctly, upgrade testing is
> always from previous releases. I do not think there is a way to test
> upgrade within point releases of the same codeline. Am I correct about
> this? I haven't thought enough about it yet, but does anyone have any
> ideas on what it might take to do the upgrade testing within point
> releases?
Hi Mamta,

I wasn't aware of this limitation in the upgrade tests. I thought that
they just tested every hard and soft upgrade trajectory ending at the
current level of the codeline and starting at each of the previous
releases listed in OldVersions.VERSIONS (which can be overridden by the
-DderbyTesting.oldVersionsPath property). I don't know that we've ever
tried upgrade on a branch though. I don't think anyone updates
OldVersion.VERSIONS on a branch. I think we only bother to update it on
the trunk.

Thanks,
-Rick