db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: opinions on a less aggressive release of the istats feature?
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:53:05 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I'm agnostic about this question. But I would like to hear more opinions
> before changing the default again. In particular, I want to hear Mike's
> opinion, because it is his hesitation which gave rise to this email thread.
I brought up the thread looking for a discussion (and I was not sure how
long it would take to fix DERBY-5108).  My take from the limited
discussion is that the consensus is that the eventual default for istat
is to be enabled.

Given that consensus and if we don't see problems in all of our nightly
tests across jvm's/platforms running with istat enabled and with the fix
for DERBY-5108 checked
in I would rather see the first release of 10.8 include this enabled.  I
would also like to hear/defer to Kristian's opinion on this.  I've
reviewed the istat code itself, and with the new shutdown changes don't
know any problems in the code.

Unfortunately the only way to get the testing is to enable it in trunk,
and see.

My main concern has always been just the background work affecting
existing applications.  At this point I have been convinced that default
on is in keeping with the zero admin goal, and that we have a workaround
easily implemented in the field if there are problems.  So if we are
going to enable this enventually
I would much rather do it in the first release, rather than a subsequent
point release.

Today I am running a 100 iterations of the stat test in the environment
that previously failed every time, and will post the results to
DERBY-5108 later today.
> Thanks,
> -Rick
> On 3/16/11 11:00 AM, Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> On 3/16/2011 10:57 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>> Looking back over the last week or so, now that there's a probable fix
>>> for DERBY-5108, I'm inclined to actually opt for 3). I think it would
>>> be better to have this on by default.
>>> Making a 10.8 release with it off by default and then on again for a
>>> possible 10.8.2 sounds worse.
>>> I'd like opinions about having istat on by default soon (today?) and
>>> then giving the tests 3 days before cutting a release.
>> +1 Let's give the fix for DERBY--5108 a chance! Since istat was
>> disabled right about the same time we haven't seen how much difference
>> it will make.  Turn it on today and then make the RC Monday sounds good.

View raw message