db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: opinions on a less aggressive release of the istats feature?
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:45:18 GMT
No enthusiasm has been expressed for options (2) or (3). Knut pointed
out on DERBY-5108 that the shutdown problem also affects existing
applications which shutdown in the middle of running the
statistics-updating procedures. I think that istat-on-by-default
increases the risk that this problem will affect production
applications. I don't know how to measure that increased risk. I suppose
it could be significant.

I am going to pursue option (1), i.e., turn of istat by default. I
propose to do this on the trunk, run regression tests to verify that
everything looks good, let the nightlies vet the change, then cut the
branch tomorrow and re-enable istat on the trunk. I believe that turning
off istat involves the following steps. Does this sound right?

o Back out the changes which enabled the feature
(derby-4939-1a-enable_istat.diff). This means:

- Default Property.STORAGE_AUTO_INDEX_STATS=false in DataDictionaryImpl.
- Comment out the addition of AutomaticIndexStatisticsTest and
AutomaticIndexStatisticsMultiTest in the store JUnit suite.

o Regenerate the 10.8.1 release notes:

- Remove the summary line for this feature.
- Change the detailed note for DERBY-4939 so that it says that the
feature is disabled by default.

Thanks,
-Rick