db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: opinions on a less aggressive release of the istats feature?
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2011 00:15:59 GMT
On 3/11/2011 3:59 PM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> With the 10.8 release coming up quick and the istats feature put into
> trunk so recently I was wondering what the community would think about
> a less aggressive release of the feature.  No matter what I think it
> should stay enabled by default in trunk.
>
> 2 options I can think of are:
> 1)disable by default, allowing those users that want the feature
>   to enable it.
I think this is a possible  solution in the 10.8 branch if the release
cannot wait for a fix for DERBY-5108.  Are there other issues that the
community should be worried about or testing that you think should be
done before enabling by default?  If we disable for 10.8.1, I think it
might be ok to turn it on for 10.8.2 if we feel it is rock solid at that
time with little risk of regression.

> 2)disable by default in all soft upgraded databases.  This means that
>   applications not upgrading don't get a surprise background task.

I think disabling just in soft upgrade mode wouldn't be good. The way
soft upgrade is typically used to test and stress the new version with
an application before making the commitment to full upgrade.   If the
impact does not come until after full upgrade,  then it is too late to
go back.  I would prefer where possible to keep the risk exposure in
soft upgrade where there is still an exit strategy for users.