db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject opinions on a less aggressive release of the istats feature?
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:59:28 GMT
With the 10.8 release coming up quick and the istats feature put into
trunk so recently I was wondering what the community would think about
a less aggressive release of the feature.  No matter what I think it
should stay enabled by default in trunk.

2 options I can think of are:
1)disable by default, allowing those users that want the feature
   to enable it.
2)disable by default in all soft upgraded databases.  This means that
   applications not upgrading don't get a surprise background task.

This decision would match other performance/resource decisions
implicitly being made for the system where I think a number of users
would benefit with increased resource usage by Derby but think it
would be bad to default the system.  These include:
o page cache of 1000 can be as small as around 4 meg, which is
incredibly small in the world of 4-8 gig laptops.
o sort memory defaults to a very small number currently.
o we don't do aggressive background space reclamation which would add
   background processing overhead that active apps might not want.