db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: lots of regression test errors on Java 7
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:31:36 GMT
On 3/7/2011 7:46 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> The Java 7 installation on the regression test machines was updated from
> 1.7.0-ea-b116 to 1.7.0-ea-b131 on the day these failures started
> happening. I haven't been able to reproduce the failures in my
> environment when running the tests separately. I'll start suites.All
> with the same version and see if the failures can be reproduced then.

Thank you Knut for looking at the java 7 issues,

The Derby regression suite has always been  notoriously good at finding
JVM issues, especially in areas like JIT.  For  JDK development,
periodic runs of the derby tests on a  branch  where they are stable can
be a valuable tool. I have also seen the tests run with all sorts of
interesting jit and other options to stress certain aspects of the JVM
and pop issues.  It might benefit the OpenJDK  community  to incorporate
Derby tests into their normal test strategy and can also make life
easier when you pick up a drop for Derby testing.    The downside is you
might have to backport test fixes that they encounter to whatever branch
they run on for things like the ordering issue.

Kathey