db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: many open test failure issues...
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2011 20:13:28 GMT

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?jqlQuery=project+%3D+derby+and+%22Bug+behavior+facts%22+%3D+%22Regression+Test+Failure%22+and+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+and+createdDate++%3E%222010-10-01%22&tempMax=1000

>>> Now that we're waiting with the release for a reply from legal, would
>>> it make sense for the members of the community to dedicate some time
>>> to sort through these issues and perhaps resolve some?
>>>
>>> Myrna
>>>
>> +1
>>
> +1
>
> I think it would be worthwhile to do a focused effort on the
> outstanding intermittent errors.  It seems like trunk has gotten much
> worse in this
> area than it has been.  I often get 2-3 "known" issues when doing a
> trunk run - this should not be the case as we go into a release.
>
> I would be willing to devote time to this issue over the next few
> weeks.  I do think we need some sort of list of
> issues to concentrate on, maybe making those on the list a blocker for
> a release until someone does work to either fix or argue why they
> should not be a blocker.
I would support a concerted bug fixing effort in 10.8.2, with a strong
emphasis on stabilizing our noisy tests. Perhaps someone will volunteer
to manage such a release and publish its criteria. Extra credit if we
wrap this up before everyone disappears for the summer.

> I am particularly concerned about the statistics and interrupt based
> errors we are seeing.  These are the results of new features being
> introduced and due to the intermittent nature it is hard to say if the
> issue is the feature itself or just new testing showing up existing
> issues.

I agree that there has been a lot of noise in these areas. The bugs I'm
aware of indicate that these features may not be delivering their
promised benefits in edge cases. So far I do not see any evidence that
these features have caused regressions, data corruptions, or wrong
results. My sense is that both of these features provide significant
improvements over Derby's behavior in previous releases--even with edge
case lapses. At this point I am in favor of releasing these features so
that customers can enjoy the incremental improvements and can give us
feedback on uncovered edge cases that we haven't found ourselves.

Thanks,
-Rick