db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Few suggestions regarding Derby Tutorials and Wiki
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2011 04:42:14 GMT
> My motive in having a compact tutorial is that the user can have anoverview of what things
one should need in succession(setting
> up environment, then running tests etc). I think Derby Getting started guide would also
be a good place to add/modify these things.

I think your ideas and feedback are excellent; it is great to have
your experiences as it has been a while since any of the existing
developers has set their environment up from scratch :)

I think that we generally try to keep the external Derby
documentation, such as the Getting Started guide, focused on
the needs of the *users* of Derby, as opposed to the needs of
the *developers* of Derby. Our users are not expected to need
to learn how to compile Derby, run the tests, etc.

However, I think that your observations and improvements would
be great if you could edit them into the Derby developer's wiki
pages, starting probably somewhere around here:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev

The wiki pages can be (and should be) edited by any member of
the Derby community, so please feel free to create a wiki account
for yourself and add your fixes, ideas, checklists, and tutorials
to those wiki pages so that future developers can benefit from them!

thanks,

bryan