db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: many open test failure issues...
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2011 00:03:16 GMT

Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 3/8/11 11:00 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems to me we have a relatively unstable test situation; it
>> appears to me there are many intermittent test failures...
>> There are a lot of open test issues; 69 per this query:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?jqlQuery=project+%3D+derby+and+%22Bug+behavior+facts%22+%3D+%22Regression+Test+Failure%22+and+resolution+%3D+Unresolved&tempMax=1000

>> 21 of these were opened since October 1, 2010:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?jqlQuery=project+%3D+derby+and+%22Bug+behavior+facts%22+%3D+%22Regression+Test+Failure%22+and+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+and+createdDate++%3E%222010-10-01%22&tempMax=1000

>> Now that we're waiting with the release for a reply from legal, would
>> it make sense for the members of the community to dedicate some time
>> to sort through these issues and perhaps resolve some?
>>
>> Myrna
>>
> +1

+1

I think it would be worthwhile to do a focused effort on the outstanding
intermittent errors.  It seems like trunk has gotten much worse in this
area than it has been.  I often get 2-3 "known" issues when doing a
trunk run - this should not be the case as we go into a release.

I would be willing to devote time to this issue over the next few weeks.
  I do think we need some sort of list of
issues to concentrate on, maybe making those on the list a blocker for a
release until someone does work to either fix or argue why they should
not be a blocker.

I am particularly concerned about the statistics and interrupt based
errors we are seeing.  These are the results of new features being
introduced and due to the intermittent nature it is hard to say if the
issue is the feature itself or just new testing showing up existing issues.