db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Start with Derby and Full outer JOIN
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 02:54:04 GMT
On 03/03/2011 08:35 AM, Lahiru Sandaruwan wrote:
> improvement reported at JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4832 ). As
the straight forward Full outer JOIN is not
> available in Derby( as improvement stated above), I would like to contribute to the improvement
of it.

I think it's a very interesting idea for a project, and it would be
a nice improvement to Derby.

To get started with GSoC, make sure you visit the Google web site at
http://www.google-melange.com/ and make sure that you read the
"Student Manual" at http://www.booki.cc/gsocstudentguide/

Once you have figured out how to build the Derby code and run
the Derby tests, the next step is probably to learn how the
simple LEFT and RIGHT outer joins work.

There are extensive test suites in the Derby source tree, so you
should be able to find a number of examples of those join types
in those test suites, or you could simply write a test program
of your own, starting from scratch or from a good SQL manual.

Then you should learn how to dump Derby query plans and query execution
statistics to learn how to read the different Derby plan output,
and you should get yourself set up with a debugger environment
(I've successfully used both JSwat and IntelliJ Community Edition
with Derby), so that you can step through the optimization and
execution of a simple LEFT outer join.

At that point, you've probably got enough basic information to be
able to start prototyping solutions and proposing ideas.

Let us know how we can be of help!

thanks,

bryan