db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to join in this GSOC
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 02:43:30 GMT
On 03/02/2011 06:28 AM, Houx Zhang wrote:
> Hello, everyone!
>
> I'm a student eager for this GSOC on Derby. So far, I have browse some useful information
on the derby website and joined the
> development mailing list. Could anybody give me some advice, please? I have some questions
below:

> 1. Where can I see the ideas this GSOC?
> 2. Who are mentors this GSOC?
> 3. What can I do to make a better preparation before applying?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Houx Zhang

In the Derby project, we track issues and projects using Jira.

You can see some of the previous GSOC projects in Derby by going to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY
then clicking on the "Labels" tab, and then clicking on the "gsoc" label.

There is one currently open GSOC project in Derby right now, I believe:

Another project which the Derby community usually runs is the "test-and-fix"
project, which is a great project for newcomers to Derby. You can see
previous Derby GSOC proposals on the GSOC website, I believe, and you
can see some of the results of last year's test-and-fix project here:

Students may propose projects, just as mentors can. In fact, any member
of the community can propose a GSoC project and can label a Derby issue
as appropriate for GSoC work.

For general information about the Google Summer of Code, there is a VAST
amount of information at the Google web site:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/home/google/gsoc2011

The best resource for new students is the student manual at:
http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.booki.cc%2Fgsocstudentguide%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEGWWLxmww-8pFijEqDvTruBPDQnQ

Good luck, I hope this gets you started!

thanks,

bryan