db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: newbie to derby
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 19:09:30 GMT
On 3/1/2011 10:47 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 3/1/11 7:33 AM, vipul modi wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am new to derby and would like to work on client server layer of
>> derby db.
>> Can anyone suggest a initial starting point so that , it can get
>> started with derby development.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Vipul Modi
>> MSc.(Tech) Information System
>> BITS-Pilani Goa Campus
> Hi Vipul,
>
> One place to start would be to start fixing some of the discrepancies
> between the client and embedded drivers. Look for open JIRA issues
> which have the "Embedded/Client difference" box checked. DERBY-584
> might be an easy one to start with
DERBY-4901 might be an easy one too and if you like protocol, build up
to DERBY-4805 .

In general when working with Derby I think it is good to do the tutorial
first.
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/index.html

Then get your build and test environment set  up. See:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers
(also the relevant specifications are at the bottom of this page)

and if you want to use eclipse, Tiago made a nice screen cast for this at:
http://www.vimeo.com/5376690

I would suggest you make sure suites.All and derbyall run before you
start making code changes, so you can work out any kinks separate from
your code changes.

Welcome and please do not hesitate to ask questions.

Kathey