db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From dag.wan...@oracle.com (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Regarding Store Test
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2011 04:03:51 GMT
Tiago Espinha <tiago@espinhas.net> writes:

> I remember something like this as well but I also seem to remember that
> there was something "wrong" with it. If I'm not mistaken, it just throws the
> whole SQL script into one big JUnit fixture and then even if the work is
> greatly reduced, there's still an awful lot of work that has to be done
> manually.

You are right about the fact that it puts stuff into one big JUnit
fixture. I used the converter though a while ago and it saved me a lot
of work, although I had to tweak it a lot after conversion
(OuterJoinTest, 3500 lines, DERBY-4471) with some creative Emacs
macros...

> Personally I find that running the SQL file against the output file within a
> JUnit test is acceptable.. the test functionality is maintained and the test
> is converted into JUnit, so I'm not sure there are any significant drawbacks
> about it.

I think part of the reason why we converted to JUnit was to make the
test assertion based. I am not sure, but I think ScriptTestCase was made
to accelerate the move away from the old test harness, not because we
wanted to continue using script output based comparisons which are more
brittle. Your call, either way, conversion to JUnit is good.

Thanks,
Dag