db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Facebook Page
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 15:36:00 GMT
Hi all,

I'm not sure if there's a mailing list for which this would be more
appropriate (a dev list seems a bit odd.. but this way I can reach out to
everyone involved) but I wanted to get feedback. I created a Facebook page
for Apache Derby and the main goal for now would be to attract students for
Google Summer of Code. Eventually we could (maybe unofficially) announce new
releases and even Apache's own mentorate programme there.

It's just that social media is getting really big and it's easier than ever
to get free advertising by using it. Maybe it would also be a good idea to
have a twitter account where we announce this kind of things? I wouldn't
mind taking care of this, and I confess I jumped the gun a bit with the
Facebook page but I'd like to hear the community's opinion on it. Would we
need some kind of ASF permission to have these extra communication channels?
(Considering we use a "brand" owned by ASF?)

In the end I think we have a lot to gain. If we increase our dev-base we'll
be able to make Derby even better, and based on our JIRA issues list, it
seems to me we could really use extra pairs of hands...

So what are your thoughts on this? I can delete the Facebook page if the
community doesn't think it's appropriate.

Cheers,
Tiago