db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: reminder - don't use DERBY-XXXX: text format in svn commits (colon defeats JIRA/svn integration)
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:49:33 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 2/16/11 12:59 PM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:

>>> This is the first I have heard about this problem. Like Knut, I have
>>> been putting colons in my commit messages for years. When did people
>>> start noticing this problem? That may help us track it down.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Rick
>>>
>> Looking at it closer it does seem like sometimes it works and sometimes
>> it does not.  I just assumed it was consistent.  It does not seem to be
>> consistent with a user also.  For instance DERBY-5015 by knut does not
>> show a svn commit for me, while 5032 does.
>>

> Thanks, Mike. Why do you suspect the problem is the colon? Maybe there
> is some other detail about the 5032 message which triggers this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

I just remember early on (meaning years ago) having problems with some
sort of punctuation being right next to the derby number.  I assumed
that the way it works is that there is a scanner that runs over the
comments looking for jira
numbers of format XXXX-NNNN , and that at least at some point is was not
smart enough to deal with anything other than whitespace around the
token.  Given the number of entries we have with colon's it must be
something else.  Every time I see a missing one the comment has the
colon and I have never seen a missing entry where there was no colon but
these are just mostly observations while I have been working on
backports and could just be explained by most of the entries having
colons.