db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Enabling automatic calculation of index statistics
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:54:19 GMT
On 27.01.11 18:16, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Kristian,
>
> Thanks for taking care of this while you are on leave. +1 to checking
> in your patches. More inline...

FYI, I have now committed the remaining patches.

I have enabled logging by default for now, and the feature is also
enabled by default.
Both the feature itself and the logging can be turned off explicitly
using properties (I think they have all been described in DERBY-4771).

The easiest way to see if work is ongoing is to obtain a stack trace and
see if the index statistics daemon thread is present. That thread will
be created when needed and go away when there is no more work to do, so
this technique is awkward for small tables...
Grepping for "istat" in derby.log will give you some information about
what has happened. A summary will be printed to the log if you shut down
the database properly.
You can also enable tracing for more detailed information. To see what
the output looks like, run the test store.AutomaticIndexStatisticsTest
with tracing/logging enabled.

Note that the feature is still somewhat experimental. Feel free to ask
questions, I'll try to answer them as soon as I can. Again, I think
DERBY-4771 is the issue that contains most information about the feature.

Regards,
--
Kristian