db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Few basic doubts
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:15:55 GMT
On 2/8/2011 11:56 PM, siddharth srivastava wrote:

> 1) when we re-build derby once it has already been built, then we need
> to manually remove all the jar files ffrom the ..\sane folder
> otherwise during building jars (ant buildjars), it fails to progress
> as it is unable to overwrite the existing jars.
> I don't know that if it is supposed to behave so then why or does it
> depend upon the platform in some way ?
>
> I ran everything with administrative privileges on Windows 7.

I think I filed a bug for this but am having trouble finding it right
now.  Search Jira for the exact error message and I think you should
find it. I do think it is platform dependent because Windows will not
let you remove a file while it is use.  I am not sure exactly what the
problem is, but my guess is that because the jars are in the classpath
it may be the Autoloaded driver that gets loaded and prevents removal of
the jars.

> 2) When we run tests using the TestRunner, we need to manually cleanup
> the garbage produced by the previous run, otherwise it too is unable
> to proceed. I am to some extent able to get the cause/reason behind
> this but certainly an insight from experts about this behaviour would
> be helpful. In fact if the run procedure itself generates the
> resultant files from running tests in a separate folder irrespective
> of the current directory, then it would be good.
> I am not completely aware if this is possible from within derby or it
> requires modification from Junit's part.

It is important to keep the results for analysis after a run.  For some
testing, like upgrade testing at releases it is actually important for
the old database to be still there.  You could add an option though that
cleans up the test related directories before running the tests.  I
would have it target very specific directories as you wouldn't want to
accidentally remove something unintended by running in the wrong directory.

Kathey