db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Few basic doubts
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 14:06:44 GMT
On 2/8/11 11:56 PM, siddharth srivastava wrote:
> Hi
>
> After my failed effort to build derby on Fedora 14, I switched to
> windows for derby development.
> I noticed a few things, which I would like to share:
>
> 1) when we re-build derby once it has already been built, then we need
> to manually remove all the jar files ffrom the ..\sane folder
> otherwise during building jars (ant buildjars), it fails to progress
> as it is unable to overwrite the existing jars.
> I don't know that if it is supposed to behave so then why or does it
> depend upon the platform in some way ?
>
> I ran everything with administrative privileges on Windows 7.
>
> 2) When we run tests using the TestRunner, we need to manually cleanup
> the garbage produced by the previous run, otherwise it too is unable
> to proceed. I am to some extent able to get the cause/reason behind
> this but certainly an insight from experts about this behaviour would
> be helpful. In fact if the run procedure itself generates the
> resultant files from running tests in a separate folder irrespective
> of the current directory, then it would be good.
> I am not completely aware if this is possible from within derby or it
> requires modification from Junit's part.
Hi Siddharth,

As you noted, the tests leave a couple folders of artifacts. These may
be helpful in diagnosing problems encountered during a test run. I agree
that it would be good to root all of these folders under a single master
artifact folder. It appears that all output goes into the current
directory right now--I have no idea how hard it would be to change that.
As a workaround, I run TestRunner from a script which creates a new
folder and cd's to it before booting the TestRunner.

I think that pretty much the same thing is done by the ant targets which
orchestrate the JUnit tests. There is also an ant target which removes
old JUnit artifacts (junit-clean):
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJUnitTesting#Running_tests_using_ant_in_a_code_line.

Hope this helps,
-Rick