db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Hi derby dev
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 17:19:33 GMT
On 2/1/2011 10:26 PM, hareendra seneviratne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can some one help me to find a issue on which I can work on with
> little experience in JDBC? I need a friendly mentor who can guide me
> throughout the process.

Hello Hareendra,

Rick is right that the derby-dev list and  comments in Jira are the best
form of technical interaction and community mentoring, but I do think it
is helpful sometimes to have someone specific help you choose issues,
learn about the flow of the community and  how to work in the Apache
environment.  I am hoping someone will volunteer to help you n this role
as I am currently working with Siddharth, but I and I am sure the whole
community are happy to help until we find you someone specific.

In addition to the resources Rick listed you may want to join the #derby
IRC channel when you are working on Derby.  There are typically people
from all time zones there to help. Do make sure any technical
discussions held there are summarized to the list.

http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html#Use+the+Derby+Communication+Channels

I iusually recommend as a first step that you do the Derby tutorial and
just use the download from the website as some of the documented
configuration doesn't make sense in the context of a development build.
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/index.html

Next look at the Derby contributor checklist, read and submit your
ICLA.   Instead of fax or snail mail, you can email this to
secretary@apache.org
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist

Next,  build and and run tests using the instructions Rick provided and
setup an IDE. I use Eclipse.  Some people I know use NetBeans.  Tiago
made a great screencast on setup your environment with Eclipse.

Next,  choose a very simple issue and assign yourself to it.  Then you
can follow and understand the full development cycle from  making source
changes to commit.    I would recommend
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1016 . There was some back
and forth on behavior, but that is all settled now and the patch should
be easy. Please make an account for yourself in Jira and send it to the
list so someone can add you to the developers list and you can assign
yourself to the issue.

Perhaps you can tell us a little bit about your skills and background
and also what type of time commitment you would like to make to Derby so
we can recommend next steps.  It would be good also to know what your
goals are. Are you preparing to apply for GSOC,  doing this as part of
your course work or is it just personal interest.

Again Welcome!

Kathey