db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enabling automatic calculation of index statistics
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:54:38 GMT
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Kathey Marsden
<kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 1/26/2011 12:11 PM, Kristian Waagan wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I plan to enable automatic calculation of index cardinality statistics by
>> committing DERBY-4938 and DERBY-4939 (I have broken up the code from the
>> latest DERBY-4771 patch, the patches are just not accessable for me right
>> now).
>>
> Hi Kristian,
>
> Thank you for doing this important work.  I tend to think that if you think
>  it is ready and tests are passing for you, it is better to get it into
> trunk as early as possible to give it a good work out.  What is the property
>  that can be set  to disable the automatic update?  We  can have that
> available to test whether the automatic update is causing problems as we hit
> them and make it the default if it ends up there ends up being significant
> instability.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kathey

+1

There *are* a number of intermittent failures, and I'm especially
mindful of the ones related to removing test directories and the like
that popped up during the 10.7.1 test cycle (DERBY-4905, DERBY-4915,
DERBY-4916, DERBY-4922), but I'm not investigating/working on any of
them right now, and I don't think anyone else is, so no point waiting.

Myrna