db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From dag.wan...@oracle.com (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Mixed client sever and upgrade and compatibility testing with Junit Tests
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 00:17:57 GMT

Hi Kathey,

thanks for helping me through this.

> I have been thinking about your BOOLEAN failures and wonder if they
> should occur in soft upgrade mode.  I think the DatabaseMetaData may
> be saying the type is available but it is not.   I think it would not
> be unreasonable for an application (like the tests) to check if the
> data type is available  and have conditional behavior based on
> that. Now that I type this it seems like this might be an old
> conversation, but can't fully remember.

Right, well it seems the tests are not that clever generally. As I
mention, using the 10.6 version of derbyTesting.jar saw more errors than
the 10.7 one (in spite of the default db not having been hard upgraded),
since the 10.7 version of derbyTesting is prepared to see
BOOLEAN in metadata.

Thanks,
Dag