db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Mixed client sever and upgrade and compatibility testing with Junit Tests
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:22:23 GMT
On 12/15/2010 4:17 PM, Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Hi Kathey,
>
> thanks for helping me through this.

Thank you for running the tests!

> Right, well it seems the tests are not that clever generally. As I mention, using the
10.6 version of derbyTesting.jar saw more errors than
> the 10.7 one (in spite of the default db not having been hard upgraded),
> since the 10.7 version of derbyTesting is prepared to see
> BOOLEAN in metadata.

I have not had a chance to look at the tests but I think the tests are
clever but Derby DatabaseMetaData is not clever enough to know it should
not return BOOLEAN in soft upgrade mode, so the tests are trying to use
it because they think it is available when it is not.  The
derbyTesting.jar from 10.6 should run clean on a soft upgraded database
using 10.7 product jars, just like any 10.6 application.   Of course the
new functionality in the 10.7 derbyTesting.jar should not work and so
sensible that it has failures.

I did verify the DatabaseMetaData getTypeInfo() bug and filed:

Kathey