db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject text of release announcement for 10.7.1.1
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:18:15 GMT
Here's what I have so far. Please help me improve this. I plan to
announce the release tomorrow (Wednesday, December 15).

Thanks,
-Rick

--------------------------------

The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce feature release 10.7.1.1.

Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure
Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and
JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to
work with.

Derby 10.7.1.1 can be obtained from the Derby download site:

    http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.

Derby 10.7.1.1 contains the following new features:

     * Definer's rights - Procedures and functions can now run with
their creators' privileges, rather than with the current user's permissions.
     * BOOLEAN data type - Boolean is now a legal data type for columns,
routine arguments, and function return values.
     * Table truncation - A new TRUNCATE TABLE command drops all rows in
a table quickly.
     * Query plan browsing - A new PlanExporter tool helps developers
visualize query plans better.
     * Unicode database names - Remote clients can now use database
names which include Unicode characters outside the ASCII codeset.

In addition, Derby 10.7.1.1 contains many bug and documentation fixes.

Please try out this new release.