db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Mixed client sever and upgrade and compatibility testing with Junit Tests
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:06:48 GMT
Normally I try to  run  the following tests using the Junit Tests on a
new release but have not done so for 10.7.
Since we only really have significant JUnit tests after 10.3 I usually
only test from 10.3 and higher.  Analysis can be time consuming but
tends to find  issues, and release notes needed. For example, for 10.5
we found, : DERBY-4122
<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4122>, DERBY-4127
<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4127>, DERBY-4128
<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4128>, DERBY-4135
<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4135>, plus missing release
notes for DERBY-2085 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2085>
and DERBY-1062 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1062>

Soft upgrade testing: Create database system/wombat with the old
version. Then using the old derbyTesting.jar and new  product jars, run
suites.All.  Then rerun with the old jars and make sure tests are clean.

Hard upgrade testing:  Create database system/wombat with old version.
Connect with 10.5 with upgrade=true. Then run suites.all with 10.5
derbyTesting.jar and product jars.

Client/Server compatibility testing:

a) Put derbyclient.jar and derbyTesting.jar from the old version and the
other product jars from 10.5 in your classpath. Run tests and analyze
failures

b) Put derbyTesting.jar and server jars from the old version and
derbyclient.jar from the new version in your classpath. Run tests and
analyze failures.