db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: productizing the metadata wrapper functions
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:01:56 GMT
Here's a further refinement:

I think that we would not need to introduce the system procedure
syscs_util.syscs_load_metadata_wrappers(). Something like the following
is almost possible with Derby today:

create procedure loadDBMDWrappers( ) language java parameter style java
modifies sql data external name 'org.apache.derby.diag.DBMDWrapper.load';
call loadDBMDWrappers();
select type_name, minimum_scale, maximum_scale from table(
sysmetadata.getTypeInfo() ) s;

I say "almost" because, for security reasons, you can't invoke a
procedure which resolves to a method in Derby's package space. We would
simply need to relax this restriction and, say, let users register and
execute any public static method in the org.apache.derby.diag package.

This approach is only slightly wordier than the original proposal. It
could be a general technique for distributing optional diagnostic
packages like this.

The proposal would now be simpler:

1) Put DBMDWrapper into the org.apache.derby.diag package. It weighs 24K.

2) Allow users to register and invoke procedures in org.apache.derby.diag.

3) Create a wiki page explaining how to use the wrapper functions.

4) Use these methods for tech support and Derby development but do not
expose them in the public api or the user guides. We would not incur any
new compatibility burden.

5) We could remove the DBMDWrapper class if we got around to
implementing the SQL Information schema.

Thanks,
-Rick