db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: productizing the metadata wrapper functions
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:09:35 GMT
On 12/10/2010 9:46 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I am considering adding metadata wrapper functions to the Derby
> product. I would like the community's feedback on how to expose these
> functions.

Thank you Rick for this work.  I have not looked closely at it but am
wondering if you are proposing that these be exposed as a stable or
unstable interface and also wonder if we have a
call syscs_util.syscs_load_metadata_wrappers( true ); , if there should
also a be an unload or if the load method should reload new
definitions.  I can't remember if columns might get added for metadata
calls with new JDBC versions.   It seems to me there is some sort of
precedence for this. Even if there is just a bug it would be great to be
able to drop and reload.

Again having not looked at this, I don't understand how confident we
will never want to change the wrappers, but it might be nice to first
just expose them on a Wiki page as unstable and subject to change until
they have been vetted
instead of putting them in the formal documentation right away.  Pardon
my fear of compatibility commitments #:)

Thanks

Kathey