db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: using ClientDataSource on Java 6
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 15:56:37 GMT
Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> writes:

> The Admin Guide says that you can use the ClientDataSource class on
> all Java SE platforms, including Java 6:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.6/adminguide/adminguide-single.html#cadminnsdatasources
>
> I think that this may work if verification is lazy and does not notice
> that ClientDataSource does not satisfy the full Java 6 contract for
> javax.sql.DataSource (ClientDataSource does not implement
> java.sql.Wrapper). I believe that a runtime with aggressive
> verification could fail to load ClientDataSource.
>
> Does this sound right to you?
>
> Elsewhere in our user documentation, we do advise applications to use
> the *40 DataSources when running on Java 6.

ClientDataSource40 extends ClientDataSource, so if a JVM fails to load
the ClientDataSource class, I suppose it won't be able to load
ClientDataSource40 either.

It would also fail to load the Connection/Statement/ResultSet classes in
any JDBC 3.0 driver, so the backward-compatibility story for such a JVM
would be poor.

--
Knut Anders