db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New process for generating release notes
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:30:24 GMT
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Kristian Waagan
<kristian.waagan@oracle.com> wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
> A new process for generating the Derby release notes has now been put into
> place.
> The solution uses the JIRA SOAP-based API to pull down the required
> information. I was going to rewrite [1], but thought I'd ask if we want to
> backport the new solution first.
>
> Is the new solution worth backporting? (at least to 10.6, possibly to 10.5)
> Do we want Rick to fully test it for 10.7.1.0 before doing so?
>
> If the new tool [2] turns out to be working well, the next improvement will
> be to get rid of the manual step of creating a JIRA filter. This requires
> that the ASF JIRA instance is upgraded to version 4.x.
>

> Thanks,
> --
> Kristian
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleaseNoteProcess
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4857

my 2c:

Definitely let Rick try it out first...

Is the backport complicated? Or do you think it would be easy to do
if/when we need to make another release on those older branches? If we
do decide to put it back to 10.5 now I'd be willing to test drive a
patch.

Thank you for working on this - the old mechanism was definitely
cumbersome and flaky and subject to sudden changes in JIRA.

I think Rick revamped the release process docs, so there's an 'older
releases' doc...If you can make the changes in a similar way it would
make sense to rewrite that wiki.

Myrna