db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10.7.1 release notes and buddy testing
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:54:28 GMT
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Rick Hillegas
<rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:
> Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
>>
>> - bug fixes: should we include Test category bugs at all? I am not sure
>>  that is interesting to end users.
>>

> I blow hot and cold on this one. We seem to have settled into the pattern of
> including a lot of bug fixes which most users are not interested in,
> including:
>
> 1) fixes to the tests and build scripts
>
> 2) fixes to bugs which were corrected in the mainline before a user ever saw
> them
>
> 3) incremental subtasks of features
>
> It might be worth re-opening the discussion about what should go into the
> release notes for 10.8. I can imagine oddball users and loosely involved
> developers who might be interested in all of the above topics, but I agree
> that most users would consider these issues to be noise which obscures the
> signal in the release notes.
>
> One good property of noisy release notes is that the JIRA filter is easy to
> write. If we want a tighter filter, then I would like to insist that the
> filter be expressible in JIRA. I would argue that post-processing the JIRA
> results is a brittle, time-consuming task which isn't worth the effort.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

I think somewhere - perhaps in the rules for an apache release? - it
is implied/stated that you need to include a list of *all* changes to
the source code (with the .src distribution?) for a release. Testing
code, build code, code that hasn't been released yet are all still
code, no?
This is why in the past we in the past we've had a separate changes file.

We've done away with the changes file, and have included all changes
into the release notes.

On the one hand, I can see that having a file with changes, with
explanations etc, (i.e. release notes) relevant only to users of the
binaries would be nice.
On the other hand, it's cumbersome and confusing to have to drag
around 2 files of changes.

I think we've gone back and forth on this issue a couple of times already...
I have no strong opinions either way. I wonder how other projects handle this.

Myrna