db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: New process for generating release notes
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:31:51 GMT
Den 04.11.2010 17:30, skrev Myrna van Lunteren:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Kristian Waagan
> <kristian.waagan@oracle.com>  wrote:
>>   Hi all,
>>
>> A new process for generating the Derby release notes has now been put into
>> place.
>> The solution uses the JIRA SOAP-based API to pull down the required
>> information. I was going to rewrite [1], but thought I'd ask if we want to
>> backport the new solution first.
>>
>> Is the new solution worth backporting? (at least to 10.6, possibly to 10.5)
>> Do we want Rick to fully test it for 10.7.1.0 before doing so?
>>
>> If the new tool [2] turns out to be working well, the next improvement will
>> be to get rid of the manual step of creating a JIRA filter. This requires
>> that the ASF JIRA instance is upgraded to version 4.x.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kristian
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleaseNoteProcess
>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4857
>>
> my 2c:
>
> Definitely let Rick try it out first...
>
> Is the backport complicated? Or do you think it would be easy to do
> if/when we need to make another release on those older branches? If we
> do decide to put it back to 10.5 now I'd be willing to test drive a
> patch.
>
> Thank you for working on this - the old mechanism was definitely
> cumbersome and flaky and subject to sudden changes in JIRA.
>
> I think Rick revamped the release process docs, so there's an 'older
> releases' doc...If you can make the changes in a similar way it would
> make sense to rewrite that wiki.

FYI, from DERBY-4857:
"Closing issue.
I have decided to not backport, because there has been a lot of other
changes in the build/release system. This fix isn't dependent on those
other fixes, but to me it makes sense to have a clear cut between where
we use new functionality and where we use old mechanisms. This affects
documentation too (mostly wiki).
The release manager(s) should be aware that several release process
tasks have changed in 10.7."

With some fiddling it may be possible to generate release notes with the
new mechanism from trunk for a maintenance release on a different
branch, but I haven't actually done this. Just mentioning it in case the
old mechanism is severly affected by Jira changes some time in the
future (affects branches prior to 10.7).

--
Kristian