db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: 10.7.1 release notes and buddy testing
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:14:51 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for preparing the release notes, Rick! Some notes
>
> - title: Derby -> Apache Derby. Same in first line in overview.
> - new features, bullet one: "privileges" and "permissions" are both
>   used in the same sentence. Choose one form, I suggest privileges.
>   Bullet five: "remote clients" -> Applications using the Derby network
>   client driver
> - unicode -> Unicode
> - ascii -> ASCII
>
> - bug fixes: should we include Test category bugs at all? I am not sure
>   that is interesting to end users.

I blow hot and cold on this one. We seem to have settled into the
pattern of including a lot of bug fixes which most users are not
interested in, including:

1) fixes to the tests and build scripts

2) fixes to bugs which were corrected in the mainline before a user ever
saw them

3) incremental subtasks of features

It might be worth re-opening the discussion about what should go into
the release notes for 10.8. I can imagine oddball users and loosely
involved developers who might be interested in all of the above topics,
but I agree that most users would consider these issues to be noise
which obscures the signal in the release notes.

One good property of noisy release notes is that the JIRA filter is easy
to write. If we want a tighter filter, then I would like to insist that
the filter be expressible in JIRA. I would argue that post-processing
the JIRA results is a brittle, time-consuming task which isn't worth the
effort.

Thanks,
-Rick