db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Lily Wei <lily...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.6.2.1 released
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:24:29 GMT
Hi there:

     Rick encourages me to write my experience about being a release manager.
 Here I go:
Coming from having the concept of release a project is about software package
did not prepare me in turn of all the aspect involved with release Derby. To
release Derby, not only one has to pay attention to the code line, but also
documentation, Derby website and wiki pages.

     For preparing the release, I am so glad Kathey spent about two hours walked
through all the steps with me before I started to make the 10.6.2.1 release. The
discussion was very helpful regarding getting me ready for the release in turn
of environment, tools, and time frame that each step in details.  The
information is great on ReleasePrep wiki page. However, having a mentor is also
important for first time around. Thanks, Kathey.

     As far as doing the code line, paying attention to build each distribution
and the nature of the distribution on insane is the key. I think
ReleaseCadidates wiki page did a good job on that. However, for gpg and md5, I
am using a script to do that the signing and creating .asc and .md5 distribution
files. I can definitely publish the script for windows environment if anyone
interested.

     During the voting, I did not complete follow the release vetting checklist
or assigned a dedicated person for that matter. Maybe we should have a wiki page
as release is created to make checklist publish and assigned so it is easy to
monitor not only for release manager but also for everyone who is involved. On
the same page, we can have a discussion for all the outstanding issues so voting
process decision can be more transparent.

     After the voting, I was confused about step 3 to create a page for the
release, build/update site. With Kathey’s help and couple try out myself, I was
able to figure out in timing matter (2 days).  The hardest part is creating the
release not and know the special rule about the format. In any case, I am having
the toughest time on setting my windows environment to deploy maven2. After 3
days of trying, I could not do it. I had to have Kristian to help me to deploy
to maven2. Thanks Kristian. I think we should have a special wiki page to set up
environment to deploy maven2 as Knut mention we did not have on derby-dev list.
And, more detail instruction on all the steps to deploy maven2.

     After maven2 is deploy, it is really great to announce the news and
wrapping up the release. Thanks to all the wonderful Derby people.

     I sincerely hope my experience as release manager help and like Rick says
we can improve on the creaky part.

Thanks,
Lily