db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Revive or retire http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PlatformTestsDerby?
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:27:16 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Kristian Waagan <kristian.waagan@oracle.com> writes:
>

>>  Hi,
>>
>> I stumbled across [1] when looking for something on the wiki.
>>

> There's also a link to it from the front page, in the "Nice to know..."
> section.
>

>> It lists the various Java platforms Derby has been tested
>> on. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since 2008-04-25.
>>
>> Is it useful enough to revive, or should we simply remove the page?
>> If keeping, should we simplify it by specifying major.minor version only?
>>

> I can see the value of this page. If someone volunteers to update it,
> that is. Simplifying the list of versions sounds fine, as that would
> make both reading and maintaining the page easier. We usually don't
> change the supported JDBC levels in maintenance releases, so we wouldn't
> lose information that way. And if we ever do that, we could just add a
> note about that specific version.

This page might be useful if it were revamped to be our master release
wiki page. The pointers in the "Release" column of the first table would
be useful to me if they pointed further into the release wiki, rather
than at information which lives prominently on the master download page.
By following links in the "Release" column, the reader would get to the
actual testing specifics for each release:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenSevenOneRelease
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenSixTwoRelease
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenSixOneRelease
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFiveThreeRelease
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFiveTwoRelease
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFiveOneRelease
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourTwoRelease
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeTwoRelease

and

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenThreePlatformTesting
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease

Bear in mind that I'm in the process of REDUCING the number of tasks
which the release manager has to perform. Perhaps we can organize the
platform testing results better so that we don't need to summarize
results on this page.

My $0.02,
-Rick