db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Recording published Maven 2 artifacts
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:52:32 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
>  On 12.10.10 16:05, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  writes:

>>> I agree that users would be interested in knowing that 10.5.3.0_1 is
>>> the good distribution and 10.5.3.0 has been deprecated. Where would a
>>> typical maven user expect to find that information? I don't use maven
>>> much, so I don't think I could answer that question.
>> I have no idea about the Maven users, but I suppose a typical Derby user
>> would scan the Derby website and the wiki. That said, I haven't been
>> able to find any information on our website/wiki on how to add Derby to
>> your Maven project, or any mentioning that we have Maven artifacts for
>> that matter, so I don't think we have any natural place to add this
>> information right now.
>>

> Thanks for the feedback, guys.
>
> For now I have updated maven2/README.txt on trunk (r1024149), after
> having confirmed that the artifacts have been copied from the Apache
> staging repository to the central Maven repository. It has also showed
> up in various other repositories/aggregator sites.
>
> Given that we produce Maven artifacts as part of our release process,
> maybe it would be enough to state that fact somewhere? We should also
> mention that the artifacts usually arrive a little later than the
> release itself due to the staging process.
> In addition, we should have a way to tell users about
> deprecated/invalid artifacts. I think the website is a better guess
> than the wiki for where [Maven] users go to find this type of
> information, but I don't have any proof to back that up.
>
> The advantage of the described approach is that, except for the
> one-time initial effort, the release manager doesn't have to do
> anything in the normal case. Only when the community deploys broken
> artifacts, action is required.
>
> I'm thinking http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html
Thanks for that analysis, Kristian.

Isn't the Maven repository just another distribution channel for our
release artifacts? It's a channel which works with Maven's dependency
system. Don't know if it's mirrored. I think that a better place for
this information would be on the download page for the release itself,
in the Distributions section. E.g.:
http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.6.2.1.cgi#Distributions

> Can we simply add a header "Deprecated Maven Artifacts"?
Don't see much reason to advertise the deprecated artifacts. I can't
think of any reason that a user would need to know about any
distribution channels other than the ones which we approve.

Thanks,
-Rick