db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Recording published Maven 2 artifacts
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:15:53 GMT
  On 12.10.10 16:05, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  writes:
>
>> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>>> The most interesting thing in the list is that the 10.5.3.0 artifacts
>>> are broken, and that 10.5.3.0_1 should be used instead. I think this is
>>> something that would interest our users too, which may suggest that we
>>> shouldn't hide this information in the source repository?
>>>

>> I agree that users would be interested in knowing that 10.5.3.0_1 is
>> the good distribution and 10.5.3.0 has been deprecated. Where would a
>> typical maven user expect to find that information? I don't use maven
>> much, so I don't think I could answer that question.
> I have no idea about the Maven users, but I suppose a typical Derby user
> would scan the Derby website and the wiki. That said, I haven't been
> able to find any information on our website/wiki on how to add Derby to
> your Maven project, or any mentioning that we have Maven artifacts for
> that matter, so I don't think we have any natural place to add this
> information right now.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

For now I have updated maven2/README.txt on trunk (r1024149), after
having confirmed that the artifacts have been copied from the Apache
staging repository to the central Maven repository. It has also showed
up in various other repositories/aggregator sites.

Given that we produce Maven artifacts as part of our release process,
maybe it would be enough to state that fact somewhere? We should also
mention that the artifacts usually arrive a little later than the
release itself due to the staging process.
In addition, we should have a way to tell users about deprecated/invalid
artifacts. I think the website is a better guess than the wiki for where
[Maven] users go to find this type of information, but I don't have any
proof to back that up.

The advantage of the described approach is that, except for the one-time
initial effort, the release manager doesn't have to do anything in the
normal case. Only when the community deploys broken artifacts, action is
required.

I'm thinking http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html
Can we simply add a header "Deprecated Maven Artifacts"?

---
[Deprecated Maven Artifacts]

Maven artifacts are produced for each release. It usually takes some
days before they are generally available, as they must be deployed by
the release manager and pass through a staging process.
The group id for the Derby artifacts is org.apache.derby. If you
experience problems with the Apache Derby artifacts, please let us know
at derby-user AT db DOT apache DOT org.

The following artifacts are invalid, and have been deprecated:
  o 10.5.3.0, all artifacts: Invalid POMs, use version 10.5.3.0_1 instead.

---

--
Kristian