db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Status for missing steps for the 10.6.2.1 release
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:20:22 GMT
  On 08.10.10 20:16, Lily Wei wrote:

> Hi Kristian:
>      Sorry for lack of status.
>
>      I am still making the release. I am at step 4 after a successful
> which is deploy to Maven repository.
>
> You are way ahead of me. J

Hi Lily,

No problem, I was just surprised to see some steps missing even though I
knew the release was out.
I don't really have a feeling for when these steps should be done - i.e.
the same day as the binaries went out, within one week or within two
weeks after...

> For step 4:
> Running SetDerbyVersion generate message as:
> 'POM version tags replacement succeeded.
>
> It is recommended that you verify the POM diffs before running Maven.’
>
> However, I am not sure where to find the diff under maven2. Can anyone
> shed some lights on this?

Just do "svn diff maven2" (or "svn diff" from within the maven2 directory).
The diff should consist of changes to the version tag within the various
POMs.

> Also, I only set up my ssh so it can do ssh lilywei@people.apache.org
> <mailto:lilywei@people.apache.org> without password.
>
> My username at Windows is different than my user name at
> people.apache.org. Will that create a problem for me?

I think you'll get into trouble with that... ASF will probably block
your IP, because of too many failed login attempts.
If anyone wants to improve the notes for releasing Maven artifacts from
Windows, I would recommend to replace the deployment URL to point it at
a local *nix machine running an SSH daemon for testing. I found that to
be the easiest debug approach, as I could read the SSH daemon logs to
see which user name was being used etc.

I had the same issue when testing out the artifact release steps, and I
had to add the following to my SSH config:
$ cat ~/.ssh/config
Host people.apache.org
     User <my_user_name_here>

No matter which option I used in Maven I could not get it to use the
specified user name over my local user name. There are options to
control this, but I couldn't get them to work.
Maybe this has been fixed by now?
I don't remember if I tried to specify the user name as part of the
deployment URL.

If you get stuck, let me know and I'll generate the Maven artifacts for
you. Since we're in different time zones, it may take up to 24 hours
before things will happen.

Regards,
--
Kristian