db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From dag.wan...@oracle.com (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Database name length
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:28:20 GMT
Tiago Espinha <tiago.derby@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been working out some boundary testing for my implementation of DERBY-728
> and there's something I've found out that I'd like to discuss here in the list.
>
> Right now in embedded mode we have support for all kinds of characters. In this
> mode, the database name length limit is 255 under Windows - as this is an OS
> limitation. I'm not sure about the behavior on other OSes but what I've come to
> notice is that this limit is applied on a character level. I'm not sure if Derby
> even applies a limit at all in embedded mode since we're capped at 255 by
> Windows.

Data points: On Solaris ZFS the max directory name limit is 255 *bytes*,
In Derby embedded I see a 255 character limit for ASCII for a db (i.e. directory)
name and 127 for two-byte (in UTF-8) Latin characters like the รง (C
cedille), which makes sense. So Derby doesn't seem to impose a limit
here.

Dag