db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Re: 10.7.1 release dates
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:06:04 GMT
Hi Rick,

I'm not really sure if it qualifies as documentation. The feature itself
requires no additional documentation but some of the current docs need to be
updated. In a previous discussion on the list [1], Kathey identified at
least one spot that requires an update:

"For both driver and DataSource access, the database name (including path),
user, password and other attribute values must consist of single-byte
characters that can be converted to EBCDIC. The total byte length of the
database name plus attributes when converted to EBCDIC must not exceed 255
bytes. You may be able to work around this restriction for long paths or
paths that include multibyte characters by setting the derby.system.home
system property when starting Network Server and accessing the database with
a relative path that is shorter and does not include multibyte characters."

Right now pretty much all of this is false. The arguments don't have to be
single-byte characters and while the length is still 255 bytes, this may or
may not be equivalent to 255 characters (UTF-8 is variable-length).

Should I file a JIRA issue for this?

Thanks,
Tiago

[1] - http://old.nabble.com/Database-name-length-tt29691419.html